October 4, 2014

October Laid Back Nail Art Challenge Day 4: Blood!

I wasn't super excited about the timing of this design - I've been out of town visiting with my boyfriend's family, so I painted my nails on Friday.  Which means, of course, that I've been sporting this look all weekend.  That's not exactly a problem for me, except that it just felt weird to have blood-themed nails, with the black-and-red thing, when I'm seeing the boyfriend's parents.  It's just that the whole blood and black and red thing brings me back to my semi-emo middle school days, when my family lamented the fact that I liked wearing black nail polish and asked me why I didn't wear the blue nail polish more often.

Anyway, that all isn't too big of a deal because I'm not wearing the black nail polish so I can feel deep and brooding like Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer!  Just like with the ghosts, I didn't want to have the same pattern on every nail, plus I figured I'd feel even weirder about having drippy-blood nails around my boyfriend's parents.  So I compromised and did a little of both!


The French tips on my ring and pointer fingers are inspired by Drusilla from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because I still adore that show.


My thumb and pinky were inspired by this cutepolish video, although I made it more interesting by using 3D fabric paint for the dripping blood!  I'm not sure how well you can tell based on the photos, but I think it's a pretty awesome effect.  My middle fingers were inspired by this video that a friend shared on my Facebook wall, though it didn't turn out very well on my left hand.


My black polish is Nina Ultra Pro "Black," the white is China Glaze "White on White," the red is Sally Hansen CSM "Red My Lips," and the black glitter polish is China Glaze "Lubu Heels."


I had fun with this design, but I'm definitely looking forward to Jack-O-Lanterns on the 7th and Candy Corn on the 22nd!!  In case you want to see it again, here's the challenge image:


P.S. I'm sorry if this blog post reads differently than usual.  I sort of wrote this post in a hurry before we went out to dinner, and my priority was editing the photos and placing the necessary links!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I don't remember lamenting over black nail polish. And although I remember a semi-emo period, you were a pretty happy kid -- more Elmo than Emo. :D I LOVE your dripping blood nails and your two middle fingernails best. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete