November 25, 2015

KB Shimmer: Pigment of My Imagination

This is my first KB Shimmer nail polish purchase, and I couldn't have chosen a better polish to start with!

I've never owned a true multichrome polish like this one.  I seem to recall a weird rose-gold-to-snot-green shift that my Mom had when I was a kid, but the awkward green shift rendered it pretty much unwearable.  I guess multichrome technology has gotten better since then - either that, or the color shift effects just work better when the different colors blend together well!

I almost have to wear gloves when I drive with this polish on.  It is so hard to take my eyes off of!


The main color in Pigment of My Imagination is purple, but boy oh boy does it shift around.


Above you can see it has a reddish shift at this angle, and next up it becomes a bit more goldish-red-purple:


See that streak of very very gold near the edges of the bottle?  Usually a shift like that doesn't show up on my camera.  But this one absolutely does!


WHAT. HOW IS THIS THE SAME POLISH.  I promise I didn't get my photos mixed up!  This incredible red-copper color is indeed still Pigment of My Imagination.  The first three  photos were taken under my yellowish lamps and inside my light box (which softens the light and helps reduce glare.)  The photo above is directly under the same lamp, without the light box.  I found that the more direct the light, the more pronounced the colorshift is.


Direct sunlight makes Pigment of My Imagination lean more blue-purple.  But indirect sunlight...


... makes the color lean more towards that reddish-coppery tone, though it's still very purple at the right angle.


This one was taken in the whitest light I have - my bathroom, haha.  In whiter light, this polish continues to lean towards the blue end of the purple spectrum, still with a flash of the coppery tones.


I swear, this polish is at least half magic potion!  This is another picture taken under my yellowish lamps, without the soft box.  It's a completely new shade of purple that we haven't really seen in the other pictures!  I seriously couldn't stop taking pictures of this polish.  It just shifts so much!  I love it!

Formula-wise, Pigment of My Imagination is quite lovely.  It's thin, but not watery.  The first coat is pretty sheer, but the second coat makes it perfectly opaque.

Although I think my pictures have captured at least most of the different colors in this polish, I think a video does it much better!  Feast your eyes (or click here to watch the video on YouTube):


What do you think of this polish?  Do you own any multichromes?  Did you own any of the unfortunate snot-green multichromes of the late 90s/early 2000s?  Let me know in the comments!

By the way - Happy Thanksgiving weekend to my American followers!  My birthday is on Thanksgiving this year so I'm going to have an amazing weekend :D What are you doing for the holiday weekend?  Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. a) I need this. b) Don't pick on your mother. Back then, they made color-changing CARS (yes, as in automobiles) in purple-to-snot-green. It was new. It was exciting. It was hideous. What did we know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wasn't picking on you! I don't remember you liking that polish very much, either. I'd completely forgotten about the snot-green colorshift cars until now, LOL! Oh, 1998-2004, you were so strange.

      And yes, you do need this polish. :)

      Delete
  2. Is the nail polish worth it? My nails tend to chip a lot and I wondered how long this polish will last

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KB Shimmer has pretty good staying power! I usually change my polish after 3-4 days even if it hasn't chipped, so I don't know exactly how long this would last without chipping. Of course, that always depends on your base/top coats. KB Shimmer also makes their own base and top coats to help extend the life of your manicure, and I haven't tried them myself, but I have hard great things about them!

      Delete