June 15, 2016

China Glaze Let The Beat Drop

As I browsed the clearance polishes on a recent visit to ULTA, I debated buying up every Zoya shade (they were $4.95!), but decided against it since all they had was a few shades from the Matte Velvet collection, which I was never even really tempted by.  Then, I noticed this glitter from China Glaze's summer 2015 collection on clearance for only 97 cents!  I would practically have been cheating myself if I didn't buy that one.  So I got it!


The base of Let The Beat Drop used to be clear.  Many swatchers painted this over white last summer, and their white polish is still white.  But the base in my bottle has drastically changed to not just a tint but a straight up pink jelly base.  That's probably why this was on clearance for less than a dollar.  I have no idea if this is a fluke in my bottle, or if the color bleed happened to every bottle after a year.  I'd be really interested to know if this polish has a shelf life, so to speak.  If anyone reading this has had this polish since it came out, please let me know if your base has changed color!

Even with the base color change, I still enjoy the neon glitter.  It does make some of the glitters harder to see, but that just makes the dark magenta glitters stand out that much more!


I couldn't decide on one color to show under the glitter, so I went with a bunch.  My pointer finger has two coats over naked nail; middle has two coats over white; ring has two coats over black; pinky has one coat over China Glaze I Brake For Colour.  The pink base doesn't really show up over black in the photos, but in direct sunlight in person it looks pretty weird - slightly-pink-tinted-black just isn't my cup of tea, I guess.  But in dimmer and artificial light, it looks great over black!


I really like the glitter density of this one!  Application was nice - the base wasn't goopy or runny, and the glitters didn't cling to the brush or stay globbed together on my nail.  I wasn't left with any bare spots at one or two coats, either.  Because my pinky nail is so skinny, I got more density over the nail on one coat than I got on any of my other nails, which is why I didn't bother adding a second coat on that nail.

I tried Let the Beat Drop out on top of a neon green and a neon yellow on my right hand, and blech.  The pinkness of the base did not blend well with those colors, so much so that I didn't even want to show it on the blog.  I bet it would have looked great over those colors when the base was clear, though!

What do you think of this glitter?  Do you have it? if you do, has your base color changed from clear to pink over time?  Please let me know in the comments!

(This swatch is a few weeks old, from before my pinky nail broke off.  It hasn't sprung back to life in the last week, which would be awesome!)

No comments:

Post a Comment